Golden State Glassics

Go Back   Golden State Glassics > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 05-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Swabbie

Default 1958 Nylox Skimaster( I think) project

Hi all. Found this site by accident looking for info on a 1958 Nylox that was given to me.Do I have the classic bug? Well, that will depend on how this goes. So far it has not gone too good. First off, like my wife said,"there's no such thing as a free boat". The boat came with a 1978 Johnson 55 hp long on it.That didn't scare me because one of my hobbies is resurecting old outboards.After one new CD pack, 75 bucks, two new coils, 50 bucks,a new impeller, 25 bucks, misc. broken bolts, didn't keep track. The motor runs perfectly. As for the boat, every bit of hardware was compleatly rusted away. All the steering cables were gone and the helm was shot. The po had raised the transom 4 inches, Not enough for the long shaft. And a bad job to boot. They also cut a 3 1/4 inch hole in the dash to mount the tach and that collapsed the whole bow.The boat spent much of it's life moored in Bodega Bay. He painted the bottom with a/f which is almost impossible to remove. The trailer has no title. It will cost a fortune to get a PTI. How am I doing so far? I decided to go ahead with it. I must be totally insane.
The good, the bottom and transom are very sound, no rot. I have redone the dash and it should be stronger than new. I have raised the transom 5 inches and it looks much better and stronger. I will keep you updated with pictures of this madness if I can figure out how to post them. I am computer dumb.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Skipper

Default Welcome

Sounds like you'll fit right in. Find out where your pics are store on the computer. Hit the little paper clip button at the top of the compose window and then use the dialogue box that comes up to find and pic the files to upload. It works pretty well as long as the pics aren't too big. There are other ways of getting pics into the posts but they require cutting and pasting urls and web addresses. Of course we all like pics. Aren't Nylox's kind of funky shaped? Can't wait to see it.

Ron

1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan Outboard converted from an I/O
1985 Wellcraft 228 Sportsman 23 ft Outboard.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Skipper

Default A New Category

Hey Denise. I think we need to make a new category. Kind of a support group for our spouses. Instead of the "Clubhouse" we could call it "The Asylum". No financial advisors (or lawyers) allowed.

Ronald

Old 05-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Skipper

Welcome Seahorse! Sounds like you have made some pretty good progress so far on your Nylox. Your wife is right, my free boat cost me $459 which was mostly getting it registered at the time.

For now, I do have a picture of a 1957 Nylox and how close it is to a 1958 I don't know.

And Ron, my sister-in-law formed a spousal group back in 2003 at my second lake San Antonio gathering complete with a sign:

"Boat Enthusiast Spousal Avoidance Center"

Quote:
No financial advisors (or lawyers) allowed
ROFLOL!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
12734_nylox8.jpg   AvoidanceCenter.jpg  

Horace Greeley - American Newspaper Editor (1811-1872)
Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Swabbie

Thanks for all your support in this project.
Update....Got the boat tags after 3 hours at the DMV. 20 bucks for the tags, plus the ca. police officers widows fee, the ca.street manhole cover replacement fee, the blacktop repaving fee,fish and game new truck fee,and last,but not least,the consuming oxygen fee. Got outta there for 80 bucks.
The trailer, as I had expected...not so good. No vin#, no plate, no title. Only bill of sale.
Well, it was pretty much junk anyway. fortunatly I have a o/a torch, stick welder, and a shop full of all the tools I need to build my own "FRANKENTRAILER". I will take this dead tissue and creat new life. Raise the kites Fritz!!!. I will need to get a 35 buck permit to haul it down there and then they will issue me a new vin# and PTI plate. Another 80 bucks.I just can't get enough of this insanity!
I bought a teleflex steering system for it. I know a well installed and maintained cable system is safe and reliable. But for the price and the ease of install, I went for it. I know, I know, I'm not keeping it original. But I'm on a budget.And this ain't a ChrisCraft. I took some pics and I will try to get the wife to help me post them. I'm shooting for a May 30th launch date,(my birthday) on the Petaluma slough/river. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Swabbie

Default Update,more bad news

This morning I started in on the trailer. It's in worse shape then I thought. It's so badly rusted through in so many places, about the only thing I could safely reuse is the ball hitch.It is not worth the time and effort to rebuild it. Bummer! I will have to change gears now and see if I can locate another trailer. This is gonna set my budget and launch date back. Oh well, I will take this setback as giving me somemore time to get the interior of the boat in order and painted. So far this whole project is not going too good. I keep looking at my skin and see no signs of classic bug bites yet. Only cuts and scrapes.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Skipper

Default The thing about trailers...

The good deals usually come with a boat and outboard as well. Package deal that you just can't pass up. Makes the collection grow faster.

Rod Burkholder
Greenville, CA
Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Skipper

Default Uhh....Seahorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
I will have to change gears now and see if I can locate another trailer.......I will take this setback as giving me some more time to get the interior of the boat in order and painted...... I keep looking at my skin and see no signs of classic bug bites yet. Only cuts and scrapes.
I think it bit you on the ass. Have you looked there yet? LOL You're as mortally wounded as the rest of us you just don't know it yet. You need to get acclimated to the resin running through your blood stream. Like I said you're fitting in just fine....frustration and all.

Ronald

Old 05-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Skipper

Send a message via ICQ to Hoggar Send a message via AIM to Hoggar Send a message via MSN to Hoggar Send a message via Yahoo to Hoggar

On those days when your over whelmed and ready to give up, grab
a Beer and a rag and just go out and polish on the boat and drink
the beer, look at the spots where you have made headway and enjoy
your accomplishments. One day you will walk out with a rag and a beer
and realize its time to get her wet.
1961 Elgin
1967 Johnson Surfer

The Old Glass Boats.com
There Is a very fine line between
"Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

Old 05-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald64 View Post
I think it bit you on the ass. Have you looked there yet? LOL You're as mortally wounded as the rest of us you just don't know it yet. You need to get acclimated to the resin running through your blood stream. Like I said you're fitting in just fine....frustration and all.

Ronald
The only time I have come close to looking at my ass is to get my wallet out to buy stuff for this boat.