Golden State Glassics

Go Back   Golden State Glassics > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 09-27-2017, 09:12 AM
Skipper

Hey Terry do you guys eat the Mackerel?
Old 10-03-2017, 11:06 PM
Skipper

No, we do not eat Mackerel. We do keep a few to cut for bait and always have a few in the freezer to use if we go cat fishing but we haven't.
When I got the Avalon my Dad and I would go out every Saturday and sometime Sunday almost year around.
I would fish Horseshoe Kelp, Palos Verdes / Marineland, Huntington Flats and as far south as Newport. Sometimes I would launch in Newport back Bay and fish Bird Rock but it took and hour to get to open water.
In the 60's there were more fish and bigger fish with hundreds of boats around the 16 to 18 foot length. We would catch Halibut, Bass, Barracuda, Cod and several other variety's. Bonita were every where by the hundreds. When we had the large freezer filled we started to give fish to the neighbors. What more could they want, free cleaned fresh fish and sometimes after about a year they started asking for certain types of fish like Halibut and requesting how big the portions should be wrapped. This wasn't just one neighbor, this was several. There was a limit of two only per license and on our way back into Alamitos Bay I would always stop and drift the south side of Seal Beach Pier knowing we could pick up a few. They would see me pull in on Saturday and start washing the boat and the line would form.

TERRY and BETTY GOTWATER

NO FACEBOOK HERE

NO TRAILER QUEENS HERE

SALT DON'T HURT

Life is to short to own a slow boat
Old 10-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Skipper

Wow. I had no idea that fish were so plentiful in your youth. I am not at all surprised by your generosity to your neighbors even if they did become a bit demanding. Sounds like you and your Dad had some really great times which have I'm sure created some great memories.