Golden State Glassics

Go Back   Golden State Glassics > Main Category > Main Forum > Off Topic - "Other Project's Etc."

Old 12-13-2017, 07:01 PM
Skipper

Default ATTN: Gottwater

Hey Terry and Betty,

I found just the boat for those extended offshore runs out on the Big Blue. I remember seeing this ship during my sailing time in San Diego Harbor. It was frequently tied up at the NOAA dock on Point Loma along with their other research vessels. But the R/V David Starr Jordan was the one that always caught my eye.

Now, renamed the Ocean Starr it is for sale: https://www.boatinternational.com/ya...n-starr--87377

It is not fiberglass but it is old and definitely a classic. Also at $1.65M it is actually a bargain (IMHO).

JRF (Jerry)
Attached Thumbnails
Ocean Starr.jpg  
Old 12-13-2017, 11:15 PM
Skipper

Default Jrf, wow

What a CLASSIC ship. I had to start converting meters to feet and liters to gallons. 171 feet long and a beam of 36 feet, 49,999 gallons of diesel and 8000 gallons of water. To fill up the tank would be $150,000.
For the last 9 years Betty has been saying NO MORE BOATS. After I showed her this she started saying NO SHIPS EITHER.

Couple years ago Scripps was retiring one of their Oceanographic sampling expedition ships I forgot the name. Betty and I were able to take a compete tour of the ship and see all of the equipment they use for dragging the bottom, sampling water, and all the rooms with tables for sorting out what they find. Crews quarters, library the world.

Thanks very interesting,

TERRY BETTY GOTWATER

NO FACEBOOK HERE

NO TRAILER QUEENS HERE

SALT DON'T HURT

Life is to short to own a slow boat
Old 12-14-2017, 12:33 AM
Skipper

Default jrf

A good read.

GOOGLE

SEARAY BOAT COMPANY FOR SALE

And then look at

SeaRay boat company for sale Boat test.com

TERRY BETTY GOTWATER

NO FACEBOOK HERE

NO TRAILER QUEENS HERE

SALT DON'T HURT

Life is to short to own a slow boat
Old 12-14-2017, 09:08 AM
Skipper

Here is a more detailed specification in American measurements (feet/gallons etc). This is from the company that currently owns the ship and leases it for various scientific purposes. Includes layout drawings.

https://www.stabbertmaritime.com/wp-...tarr_Specs.pdf

I am impressed with the creativity of whoever wrote the sales ad copy:
"Ready for adventuring
Ready to be a serious mother ship
Ready to be a serious floating surf shack
Ready to be a serious long range globe trotter "

We could load up a bunch of Glassics and sail off to some unique destination for the GSG cruise of a life time. Such is the stuff wet dreams are made of.

JRF (Jerry)
Attached Thumbnails
say-watson-i-think-weve-found-a-boat-no-ship-5247487.jpg  
Old 12-14-2017, 09:37 AM
Skipper

Default Re: Sea Ray Boat Company

Terry,
That was interesting reading, thanks. The decline of Sea Ray is virtually a copy of what happened to Glasspar decades earlier .. deja vu all over again. Bill Tritt could have warned them about how boat sales would be heading but I'm sure nobody was paying attention to the history of fiberglass boat building. For one reason, as was said in the story “owning a boat company is a sexy business,”.

Another reason stated was the decline of popularity of inboard and I/O power vs outboards (I/Os were a mainstay of Sea Ray boat designs). I would like to point out that part of the decline of I/O and inboards has been the total focus on high horsepower gas engines. When I was building a stitch and glue hull and contemplating a larger similar boat build, I looked for a moderate size marine inboard or I/O engine (ie under 100 hp) but there was nothing available. Only diesels in small hp are made today, primarily as sail auxiliary engines. Diesels have their place but not for small power boats IMHO.

JRF (Jerry)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:42 PM
Skipper

I agree, such are the 'Wet Dreams' at our age.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:47 PM
Skipper

Guys,
I can't understand how anyone who doesn't absolutely have too or who just trips over a good deal can justify a new OB. A new Etec or Merc in the 90 - 100 hp range is at least $8 grand with instruments and installation. A good 2 stroke of any brand can be rebuilt for less than $3000. If you need a motor for a specific body of water which outlawed 2 strokes I understand but if not why considering the hours we typically run annually do you need to spend more than 2 1/2 times as much. I know all of the good things like fuel economy, how many hours do you have to run to make up the difference, reliability, if they were so unreliable how did they manage to survive for 50 plus years, no mechanical support, yeah maybe you have to drive more than around the block to find a competent 2 stroke mechanic but it will be worth the drive as you will meet someone who loves the old stuff. I know I'm in the minority but IMHO old boats deserve old motors just as long as they can possibly be kept together.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 again View Post
Guys,

I can't understand how anyone who doesn't absolutely have too or who just trips over a good deal can justify a new OB. A new Etec or Merc in the 90 - 100 hp range is at least $8 grand with instruments and installation. A good 2 stroke of any brand can be rebuilt for less than $3000. If you need a motor for a specific body of water which outlawed 2 strokes I understand but if not why considering the hours we typically run annually do you need to spend more than 2 1/2 times as much. I know all of the good things like fuel economy, how many hours do you have to run to make up the difference, reliability, if they were so unreliable how did they manage to survive for 50 plus years, no mechanical support, yeah maybe you have to drive more than around the block to find a competent 2 stroke mechanic but it will be worth the drive as you will meet someone who loves the old stuff. I know I'm in the minority but IMHO old boats deserve old motors just as long as they can possibly be kept together.

8 Grand wasn’t even close at my dealer in Dixon. 11,300 was my best price. For the etec75 hp. To be an Evinrude dealer they have to sell a certain amount of product so they may inventory one motor. If they don’t sell that motor this year they will market down a couple of grand.
The odds are small that you will find this deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by george furtsch; 12-16-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:44 AM
Skipper

The Johnson mechanic here in West Sacramento can probably fix 100 hp Golden Meteor for less than a grand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by george furtsch; 12-18-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:05 PM
Skipper

I agree George, rebuilding a motor is a much more cost effective effort. I'm having a inline 6 restored with modern ignition, new wiring, new bearing, fuel pump, rebuilt carbs, coil, water pump and I'm not sure what else but a complete rebuild including complete paint job and installation of a Power Tilt and Trim all for $2700. All work performed by a 30 plus year Outboard Marine Mechanic. True warranty is not 5years but then again if I had to do it again in 5 years I would still be money ahead.