Golden State Glassics

Go Back   Golden State Glassics > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 10-29-2017, 09:49 PM
Skipper

Default Catalina

If the weather holds we're heading over to fish marlin off the east end tomorrow the 30th.. Pics to follow. Launching at Dana Pt.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1287.jpg  
Old 10-30-2017, 08:48 AM
Skipper

Good luck. Can't wait for the pic's and story. You two are to be emulated.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Skipper

Default Catalina

Didn't make it. Long story short. Had my first ever ever tire blown out on my trailer 5 north of Oceanside on the 5 freeway and like a dummy I had no spare. Had to put it on a flat bed and go to discount tire in Oceanside. Now fixed it was too late to go. Went home and bought a rim and a tire and mounted it on the trailer. "I should have done that years ago". The forecast was excellent for the next day so we trailered up to Dana Pt to launch. We had a little wind while we were getting the boat ready and I told Jamie it doesn't look great but we've come this far so let's take a peek. We also had some surge while launching. We stuck our nose out of the harbor and the forecasters missed it by a mile. We had whites caps everywhere and a good 15-18kts of wind and 3-4 ft seas. We turned around and put it back on the trailer. Time to hit up Turks for breakfast and a Bloody Mary. We'll get to Catalina next year. Happy New Year.
Mike & Jamie
Old 01-05-2018, 08:13 PM
Skipper

Hey Mike thanks for sharing,
Don't understand why a trip to Catalina has to be put off for a year because of a bad weather day? I'm probably just ignorant as to the ways of the world but could you please elaborate for us inland boaters?
Thanks
Old 01-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Skipper

Default No spare

MIKE, MIKE, MIKE,

We have traveled thousands of miles up and down California and have seen many boats on the side of the road. Blown out tires, no spare, wrong bolt pattern, tire to big or small, no jack or lack of know how.

It's like people trying to set up a new tent for the first time in the dark.

People installing tire chains for the first time in the snow, dark, cold, wind blowing.

We had one blow out on the 5 about 10 years ago. Maybe 8 years ago a truck ahead of me lost a lot of conduit pipe on the 5 by Magic Mountain. I was able to miss several lengths but one still rolling caught the left trailer tire. We called Boat US and they said about 30 minutes, 4 pm on a Sunday and big rigs going by at 65 and cars a 75 miles. Each time our truck and the Avalon felt like it was moving over 6 inches. After 5 minutes not knowing if we were going to live I jumped out and changed the tire.
And we were on our way.

#1 a good spare the right size
#2 jack that will fit and work
#3 3 short pieces of 2x4 for mud or to get the proper height

Once a year pull off your rims and grease the studs and nuts, so if you ever need to make a tire change it will be easier.

TERRY and BEETY GOTWATER

NO FACEBOOK HERE

NO TRAILER QUEENS HERE

SALT DON'T HURT

Life is to short to own a slow boat
Old 01-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Skipper

Default Jack

Remember, next year was only days away

1/2 1980 Glastron Carlson Scimitar

Joel and Judy, Clovis, CA.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:40 AM
Skipper

Default Terry

Great advice about a spare and tools for the boat trailer. I especially agree with pieces of lumber to adjust for height / terrain issues. But you forgot one important item ... a LUG WRENCH that fits the nuts on the trailer. I carry a speed wrench with an extension and a correct socket for all my trailers in a bag with other tools. I just have to remember to put the bag in my truck when we hook up .

JRF (Jerry)
Old 01-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Skipper

Default Spare

Always make sure that the tires and spare are properly inflated. Terry always has a spinner wrench in the truck at all times. We have a box that we carry at all times with things we might need, we call it our trailer box.

Jerry say hello to Lucia for me and I will bring my potato salad at the Delta Run just for her.

Betty
Old 01-12-2018, 07:49 PM
Skipper

You guys are tough. I know I should have had a spare and the tools to change it. I usally only tow to Shelter Island or Mission Bay so I guess I was rolling the dice a little. I did have tires that where only two years old with maybe 1000 miles on them and one failed. Stuff happens but I do have everything to change a tire now.

Jack,
I'be been to Catalina many many times on boats so we don't go just hang out on the Island. We go to fish and that's summer time. Usually the weather is way better in the summer so we don't go over in the winter. If I want to do that we would just jump on Catalina Express and go.