Golden State Glassics

Go Back   Golden State Glassics > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 05-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Swabbie

Default Dorsett Belmont restoration

I was advised to start new thread with my project boat so here goes. I recently acquired a 60-61 or so Dorsett Belmont 15 foot boat. It is in pretty rough shape as you will see in the pictures. I will be slowly restoring it this season and will post pics on that as well. Anyone with suggestions, information or any other help will be greatly appreciated. I am giving up on old Corvairs to work on boats - should be even more fun. Anyone need Corvair parts - I have lots of them. Anyway - back to the boat- my plans are to first clean her out then see what it will take to put in new stringers and floor, then seating, steering, and replacing the 80 horse Evenrude with a 50 horse Merc. jet drive, then I will need a windshield and some elbow grease and paint to finish her up. Sounds like fun no?
Attached Thumbnails
Belmont raw 00000.jpg   Belmont raw 00001.jpg   Belmont raw 00002.jpg   Belmont raw 00003.jpg   Belmont raw 00004.jpg  

Old 05-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Skipper

Bill, welcome to our playground. Looks like you have your work cut out for you there.....

Some thoughts; Is this your only boat? If so, if you can spare a little $$ You may want to keep your eyes peeled for another Dorsett or even a different make - but in ready - to - use (or close to it) condition. The reason I say this is just like any type of hobby, the more time you spend with it, the more "good stuff" starts to show up. It would be nice for you to start boating right away, rather than waiting months or possibly years for your project to be finished. Working on 'em is fun, but getting out and boating with fellow glassers is even better.

I remember my first boat - it was a '59 Glasspar Avalon. Rotted transom, rotted floor, rotted stringers, painted with latex house paint, and no motor. I'm embarassed to admit, but I think I paid $ 450.00 for the pile of junk. I immediately started tearing into it & learning as I went. All the time, I kept my eyes out for boats, because I had caught the boat fever thing. As it turned out, I started finding boats that were way cooler than my old avalon, and they were even in better shape. I eventually bought a complete running American Marc Stardust, complete with 55 horse Chrysler and tail fins - for LESS than I bought the Glasspar for. I used the Stardust every weekend it sems for an entire summer. Needless to say, I lost interest in the Glasspar & ended up selling the Glasspar for like 75 bucks. Each year since that - I have found some sort of cool old boat to drag home for next to nothing.

The point is, If your heart is set on the Dorsett - fine. Go ahead and restore her. But in the meantime, you may want to look for other boats that could get you on the water while you fix up the Dorsett - and in the process, you might stumble onto something that is really cool and in decent enough shape to use as-is.

By the way, the trailer under your Dorsett looks pretty good. Where abouts do you live?

And lastly, why put a jet pump on the boat??

Take care,

Bruce
Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Swabbie

Well I guess a little explanation is in order - The boat cost me nothing - I just had to put it on a car trailer and take it away (still working on the pink. But it is coming (soon I hope) It has an 85 hp evenrude on it and I think that is a bit big for the boat. The Merc jet drive was also given to me in running condition. I also have a fiberglass canoe -flat back with trolling motor (yes I can be lazy) and a glass over wood that my step dad built quite a while ago - it needs a little work and is powered by a 53 flathead mercury V* motor - it is an inboard with no gear box - there fore no reverse or neutral - when you start you go and you go pretty fast. I will definately be keeping my out for other boats but the first mate says that I have to get rid of some of my Corvair parts and pieces - along with two project cars first. The trailer does seem to be in good shape. Tires questionable - but it has been sitting a while (small problem) I live in Paradise near Lake Oroville - or lately pond Oroville.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to sr230mike

Bill, There is a boat shop in Clovis (near Fresno) that also builds Corvairs he says he has a lot of old Merc outboard parts. N&N Boats 559-322-9736. They are not a new boat dealer so you won't encounter that (oh it is more than 4 minutes old attitude). Have fun, looking forward to seeing you on the water. another Belmont owner. mike
Attached Thumbnails
Mike%20%26%20Tammy%27s%20%2758%20Dorsett%20Belmont.jpg  
Old 05-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Mate

Hey Bill, welcome! Small world, i'm a recovered classic car restorer. My claim to fame in the Corvair world is that I designed the adapter plate from corvair to VW transmission in 1961. Installed it in a VW Karmann Ghia. Was great fun. Now I am enjoying the Old Boats Rule world with my 1967 Glasspar. I agree with Motorhead...good advice!

Bud
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5299.jpg  
Old 05-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Skipper

Send a message via AIM to GrampVSzilla

Bill,
The Dorsett windshields come in a couple different flavors. The most sought after is a glass windshield that flips over. Same design can be had in plexiglass. 59s and 60s (never saw one on any newer, but would fit a Belmont, Ski bird, or El Dorado up to 63) had a solid mounted plastic windshield with aluminum frame. It mounted in front of the ("pad" ) raised area above the dash and it has a z shape at the bottom to step above the raised area on the deck. This design looks very sleek on the little dorsetts. I have one for my 59 Belmont but dont have any pictures to share. Maybe in a month or two... Last but not least (I'm sure something else is lurking out there) I have seen a TaylorMade or two mounted above the dash. Those are not too atractive on those.
George Furtch in Sacramento and his brother Paul have very nice examples of these boats. George's is a 59 Belmont and brother Paul has a 59 El Dorado.
Here are some comparisons of the Dorsett 14'ers differences by years to the best of my memory.
1958- smaller boat/ Diferent design than yours/ has "racing stripe" ribs in the deck and splashwell area/ El Dorados have fins-Belmonts don't/ BIG Dorsett emblem (4 screws) amidships below the rub rail.

1959- New Raymond Leowey design/ Square nose cleat on front (HUGE!)/ raised area on deck is wider than 60-63/ Square endcaps-handles above the rubrail on the end of the "reversed tail fins"/ wider panel behind rear seat with 2 storage compartments/ small splashwell compared to 60-62s/ Small Dorset emblem (3 screws) mounted on tailfin above rubrail (chrome=Belmont. Gold=El Dorado)/ Tall bowlight mounted near windshield/ sternlight center mounted/ No splash deflector side trim (only stainless strip)/ Glovebox on El Dorados only.

1960-Same design as 59 but nose cleat was much smaller and pointy (like yours)/ raised deck was narrower/ same bow light location but shorter pointier light(like your's)/ rear handles moved to below the rub rail to the aft end of the pointy side spear (Splash deflector)(like your's)/ End of tailfins had end cap removed but replaced by a thin piece to hold the rubrail in place(like your's)/ Last year of ribbed design on deck hardware/ Splashwell larger/ 2 Storage compartments removed.

61- Same as 60 BUT...Dorsett emblems moved to below the rubrail/ Bow light moved to front of deck/ center bow cleat moved toward widshield/ triangular shaped hub in the steering wheel (older ones had 2 spokes strait across with round center)/ Smooth deck hardware (round torpedo shaped)/ one deck drain removed(61-62???)/ Special salmond color for El Dorados dropped/ Other???...

62- Same as 61/ No bow cleat (only rubrail)/ Wider bow light (I think)/ stern light moved to the side (I Think)/ modern style gages(squared off bezels)/ Steering wheel has removable center cap/ All Emblems were chrome only/ El Dorados were cheapened with less amenities/ Gloveboxes and bulkhead storage gone/ 2 tone interior paint on dash (???)/and dont remeber what else.

63- Same hull and dash as 59-62/ Shorter deck raised area and rippled like courderoy / Wide bow light/ Reversed tail fins were removed/ No splashwell (or a shallow bolt in splashwell)/ Floor set deeper in the hull/ side gunwales flat with courderoy ripples/ splash guards gone/ Dorsett emblems moved toward transom/ squre shaped deck hardware.

64- Deck resembled 63 larger Dorsetts/ new style hull/ Barrelback design ("hips")gone.

I could be wrong on some of this. I used to remember it like gospel but havent had to remember in a long while...

chetrslick@aol.com

Some think the glass is half empty,
Some think the glass is half full,
I think they chose the wrong size glass.

Last edited by GrampVSzilla; 05-03-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Skipper

Default windshield

Hello and welcome my boating friend, I had my windshield done fo my 59 Dorsett Belmont by wayne earl mfg in so cal. I sent the frame to them and they custom made one for $350.
George
http://www.wayneearl.com/

Last edited by george furtsch; 05-07-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampVSzilla View Post
Bill,
The Dorsett windshields come in a couple different flavors. The most sought after is a glass windshield that flips over. Same design can be had in plexiglass. 59s and 60s (never saw one on any newer, but would fit a Belmont, Ski bird, or El Dorado up to 63) had a solid mounted plastic windshield with aluminum frame. It mounted in front of the ("pad" ) raised area above the dash and it has a z shape at the bottom to step above the raised area on the deck. This design looks very sleek on the little dorsetts. I have one for my 59 Belmont but dont have any pictures to share. Maybe in a month or two... Last but not least (I'm sure something else is lurking out there) I have seen a TaylorMade or two mounted above the dash. Those are not too atractive on those.
George Furtch in Sacramento and his brother Paul have very nice examples of these boats. George's is a 59 Belmont and brother Paul has a 59 El Dorado.
Here are some comparisons of the Dorsett 14'ers differences by years to the best of my memory.
1958- smaller boat/ Diferent design than yours/ has "racing stripe" ribs in the deck and splashwell area/ El Dorados have fins-Belmonts don't/ BIG Dorsett emblem (4 screws) amidships below the rub rail.

1959- New Raymond Leowey design/ Square nose cleat on front (HUGE!)/ raised area on deck is wider than 60-63/ Square endcaps-handles above the rubrail on the end of the "reversed tail fins"/ wider panel behind rear seat with 2 storage compartments/ small splashwell compared to 60-62s/ Small Dorset emblem (3 screws) mounted on tailfin above rubrail (chrome=Belmont. Gold=El Dorado)/ Tall bowlight mounted near windshield/ sternlight center mounted/ No splash deflector side trim (only stainless strip)/ Glovebox on El Dorados only.

1960-Same design as 59 but nose cleat was much smaller and pointy (like yours)/ raised deck was narrower/ same bow light location but shorter pointier light(like your's)/ rear handles moved to below the rub rail to the aft end of the pointy side spear (Splash deflector)(like your's)/ End of tailfins had end cap removed but replaced by a thin piece to hold the rubrail in place(like your's)/ Last year of ribbed design on deck hardware/ Splashwell larger/ 2 Storage compartments removed.

61- Same as 60 BUT...Dorsett emblems moved to below the rubrail/ Bow light moved to front of deck/ center bow cleat moved toward widshield/ triangular shaped hub in the steering wheel (older ones had 2 spokes strait across with round center)/ Smooth deck hardware (round torpedo shaped)/ one deck drain removed(61-62???)/ Special salmond color for El Dorados dropped/ Other???...

62- Same as 61/ No bow cleat (only rubrail)/ Wider bow light (I think)/ stern light moved to the side (I Think)/ modern style gages(squared off bezels)/ Steering wheel has removable center cap/ All Emblems were chrome only/ El Dorados were cheapened with less amenities/ Gloveboxes and bulkhead storage gone/ 2 tone interior paint on dash (???)/and dont remeber what else.

63- Same hull and dash as 59-62/ Shorter deck raised area and rippled like courderoy / Wide bow light/ Reversed tail fins were removed/ No splashwell (or a shallow bolt in splashwell)/ Floor set deeper in the hull/ side gunwales flat with courderoy ripples/ splash guards gone/ Dorsett emblems moved toward transom/ squre shaped deck hardware.

64- Deck resembled 63 larger Dorsetts/ new style hull/ Barrelback design ("hips")gone.

I could be wrong on some of this. I used to remember it like gospel but havent had to remember in a long while...
Very nice Shannon; I'm impressed. Saving this info to my Dorsett collection. This is good information for us Dorsett fans.

Eduardo
Old 05-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Skipper

Send a message via AIM to GrampVSzilla

Glad to help. I hope I got the details right.

This is from experience seeing a variety of these little runabouts and from the pictures and info I read on the broshures. When they were available at FG I should have downloaded them and saved them but I didn't. Maybe someone will show up with them.

chetrslick@aol.com

Some think the glass is half empty,
Some think the glass is half full,
I think they chose the wrong size glass.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Skipper

Default stringer repair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gY1ZJwIJAI