Golden State Glassics

Go Back   Golden State Glassics > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 12-21-2016, 08:41 PM
Skipper

Default New Years Day Run - Sacramento Yacht Club

From our esteemed colleague and dear friend Jim Barker:

Just got a response from Dan, answer is....YES ! !. we can set up the annual New Years Day lunch run for our GSG folks....!.....YYAAAAAaaaaa ! !
Small problem is...He needs a rough count before Friday the 30th if at all possible...He has sold his boat and I feel this might be taxing the club somewhat to let him do this so let's try to be as accomodating and courteous as we can for Dan.........JB
We must leave promptly at11:00 A.M. from the docks at Discovery park in Sacramento...( No exceptions) lest we hold up Dans' arrangements at the SYC..............THX to you all......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakersfield is where I stay.
Isleton is where I play.

1980 MasterCraft 19' Stars and Stripes PCM351 Inboard
1986 Bayliner 3270 Motoryacht

Former Victims:
1963 Chris Craft 35' Cavalier Custom Yacht
1968 Seabird 19.5' 155HP I/O with OMC Anchor Drive
'59 Chris Craft Express Cruiser - 30'
'83 Patio Cruiser 28' Houseboat/60HP E-Rude (Sold to a long ago Previous Owner)
'73 SportCruiser 18' / Merc 115 - Providing much needed fish habitat in Shasta Lake
Old 12-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Skipper

Default Let's keep this tradition going...

Posted on GSG on Facebook:

Hello GSG members and Happy Holidays to everyone. I received a personal email from Jim. As of this morning, he will not be able to make the New Year's run, so he has asked us to take over. There was talk of cancelling, but agreed by Jim and Dan that this GSG annual tradition should continue, and I agree. Dan Walters, Sacramento Bee Columnist, has graciously hosted every year since 2006, my first New Year's run, and maybe longer. So here I am trying to keep this tradition going and extending the invitation out to everyone. We appreciate your previous replies on GSG Facebook. The plan for now is that we will launch from Elkhorn Boat launch near the Sacramento International Airport. I will go and see the conditions of the ramp today. If the launch is safe, it will be a 15 miles one way to the Sacramento Yacht Club. More details later. We've used this boat launch several years before for this run. It's a perfect distance for a winter run. So if you are thinking about it, let me know, post here, so I can let Dan know as well. As previously stated, he would like a head count of how many will be at the luncheon. Even if you decide not to come by boat, join us at the Sacramento Yacht Club for lunch. I know this is short notice. I hope you can make it by car or preferably by boat. Either way, we hope that you can support this tradition. If it's anything like we've had the last few days here in Sacramento, the weather will be very nice. As of this morning the weather looks good, mostly sunny, high low to mid 50s, 7 mph SSW winds, and cold but but still nice for this time of year. Mercedes and I will be there with boat as well as Kent and his family in their boat. Hopefully we can round up more folks then just Kent and our families. Thanks everyone.

Eduardo and Mercedes
Old 12-30-2016, 09:48 AM
Skipper

Default Elkhorn Park and Boat Launch

Also posted on GSG on Facebook last night:

Went by Elkhorn after work today. Place looks incredibly clean. Sacramento Regional Parks must of spent some time at this small park and launch. Usually you would find a good amount of debris caught up against the dock and piers. Not this case. The county cleaned up and looks great. The water level has dropped somewhat, but still high and current is fast. Other than the sand below the water level on the actual ramp, this place is doable.

Eduardo and Mercedes
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8287.jpg   IMG_8291.jpg   IMG_8293.jpg   IMG_8294.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 09:54 AM
Skipper

Default Another option is Discovery Park and Boat Launch

Also posted on GSG on Facebook.

Our usual place to launch, Discovery Park, is open. On my way up to Elkhorn, I saw from he freeway that Discovery Park and boat launch parking lot was dry. So coming back from Elkhorn, I stopped by the park. The park was indeed open as is the boat launch. Ramp here was very muddy, but open nonetheless. So now we have options for the New Years Lunch Run to SYC.

Eduardo and Mercedes
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8297.jpg   IMG_8298.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 10:00 AM
Skipper

I have no pony in the game as we have to sit this one out, but I am not a big fan of Elkhorn especially during the high-flow times, as it is very difficult to recover from a low-speed engine shutdown when you're fighting the current and trying to tie off to the upstream dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakersfield is where I stay.
Isleton is where I play.

1980 MasterCraft 19' Stars and Stripes PCM351 Inboard
1986 Bayliner 3270 Motoryacht

Former Victims:
1963 Chris Craft 35' Cavalier Custom Yacht
1968 Seabird 19.5' 155HP I/O with OMC Anchor Drive
'59 Chris Craft Express Cruiser - 30'
'83 Patio Cruiser 28' Houseboat/60HP E-Rude (Sold to a long ago Previous Owner)
'73 SportCruiser 18' / Merc 115 - Providing much needed fish habitat in Shasta Lake
Old 12-30-2016, 12:11 PM
Skipper

Default I agree Brad...

...as most locals do. I've already sent out an email to all the interested parties.

We have changed boat launch locations. Since Discovery Park and Boat Launch is now open, we will use our usually launching point. I don't mind Elkhorn launch, and by the look of the facility yesterday, it's another nice place to launch in the future. But like Brad said, due to the high water level and strong current, we all agreed that Discovery is a much safer place to launch our boats. If we want more time on the water, we can cruise around SYC to the south and around Old Sacramento. Maybe even tie up at the dock and stroll around the Old Town.

Meet at Discovery before 10:30 am, be ready to roll out by 11:00 am. I told Dan that we would be at the Sacramento Yacht Club by noon.

Eduardo and Mercedes
Old 01-02-2017, 10:31 PM
Skipper

So somebody post some pictures and tell the rest of us how it was.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Skipper

Jack, I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures to share. Pictures were taken but we'll have to wait for somebody else to post them. I can tell you it was a good luncheon and that SYC is a nice place. Dan Walters was a gracious host. About 10:30 am Lucia and I arrived at Discovery Park to see the boaters off to SYC (we drove). Four boats made the trip but more people went directly to the yacht club by car. The air was chilly (about 45 degrees) with a hint of drizzle. No problems that I saw and fun was had by all.

JRF (Jerry)

Last edited by JRF; 01-03-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Skipper

Thanks Jerry.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Skipper

Default 2017 New Year's Lunch Run

Also posted at GSG on Facebook:

The morning started out a little iffy with cloudy conditions and a little chance of rain; we got a bit of sprinkles on the way to the park. We got to the park at 10 am, and we found Andrew waiting at the dock with his "Cloud 9", '60 Glasspar Citation. Soon after Adam arrived with son Luke with their, '67 Glastron V174 Crestflite SS. Very cool info here if you don't already know I think. Adam and Andrew's grandfathers were original owners of their beloved old boats. Lucia and Jerry arrived boatless to the dock to say hello, check out the boats, and see us off, and our fourth boat arrived, '74 Glastron CV16, with Kent and Lydia.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8315.jpg   IMG_8317.jpg   IMG_8320.jpg   IMG_8321.jpg   IMG_8322.jpg