Golden State Glassics

Go Back   Golden State Glassics > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 04-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Skipper

Default Hogback Island and Boat Launch is...

open, which is very good news.

Also posted on GSG FB: The amount of rain and snow we have received has been very impressive. So impressive, the county had closed and opened Discovery Park and boat launch not one but twice. The county had reopened Discovery park and boat launch not long ago after being flooded over for weeks. Then recently they had closed the park again due to high river levels of the Sacramento and the American Rivers. Miller boat launch, 3 miles south, is also closed and 8 miles further south from Miller, Garcia Bend park and boat launch is also closed and will not open until summer., per my cousin Gemmel. Now we were concerned. So early Friday morning, Mercedes and I took a short road trip down the river road to see the conditions at Hogback in Walnut Grove. Also to see the river and slough conditions as well. I'm happy to say, that the river and sloughs, though very high, look very good and the park and launch was open.

Been working on the motor, hoping to test soon. May have to travel out of town to test motor. Just a week to go.

Eduardo & Mercedes
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8886.jpg   IMG_8888.jpg   IMG_8889.jpg   IMG_8890.jpg  
Old 04-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Skipper

Regretfully, Dana and I won't be attending the Day on the Delta. A close family friend has passed away, and I will be attending a memorial service for her on Saturday the 8th. We are very sorry we won't be there.

Bruce
Old 04-03-2017, 02:10 PM
Skipper

Ed is this going to be an Old Boats Rule kinda deal, you know, Rain or Shine we Boat Anytime? Since I got inducted by the Gotwaters I'm good with it.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Skipper

Default Rain keeps coming...

...down on Northern California. I talked to both OldBoatsRule parties over the weekend regarding this. My friend John from Lodi sent me a text on a good chance of rain this upcoming weekend, hence my phone calls. For the two parties to travel on the day of the storm and the chance of rain or showers on the day of the picnic and cruise, wouldn't be okay with me. Sunday looks good on the other hand. If this were just a cruise, then maybe we could go ahead and get together; however, this is the Day on the Delta which is an all day event, a picnic in the park in addition to the scheduled island cruise. If the forecast for sure is going to rain on Friday their travel day and into Saturday, I told each one that I would postpone the DOTD for Saturday, Aprill 22nd. The weekend of the 15th is Easter weekend. They are okay with that. I also have to let participating members know soon so they can reschedule.

So, I will let everyone know by tomorrow afternoon. That's what I told OldBoatsRule.

Eddie and Mercedes
Old 04-03-2017, 06:17 PM
Skipper

Totally understandable and Wed is earlier enough for us to cancel reservations.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 PM
Skipper

Default 2017 Day on the Delta has been postponed...

...to Saturday, April 22nd. I've also posted on GSG FB, and there has been many positive responses. We are happy to hear that most will still make it for the 22nd; we are grateful for that. With changing dates, there is always that chance of losing one or two members, and that's what happened here. I haven't given up on Jolene Coleman from Long Beach yet. She's planned this trip on the 8th for a while now; I sure hope she can make it on the 22nd.

The good news here is that now we have more time to work on our boats and get ready. Thanks everyone. We hope to see you on the 22nd.

Eduardo and Mercedes
Old 04-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Skipper

Hate to tell you this but we will be missing the 22nd event as well. Have a Thunderbird event previously scheduled. If nothing else we will see yall at Shasta.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 again View Post
Hate to tell you this but we will be missing the 22nd event as well. Have a Thunderbird event previously scheduled. If nothing else we will see yall at Shasta.
Jack, hate to hear that you and Lilli will not be at the Delta Picnic & Cruise. We appreciate the effort, knowing that you would have been there otherwise. Have a great time at the Thunderbird event. Hopefully we'll see you before Shasta, possibly a May gathering.

Eduardo & Mercedes
Old 04-07-2017, 09:09 AM
Skipper

Just post it and we will make every effort to attend.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:54 AM
Skipper

Default Sunday, 2nd Day on the Delta...

...planned for the next day, Sunday. Posted on GSG Facebook as well. For members planning on joining us for the Delta Picnic and Cruise.

There have been questions about the second day so here are the details.

Ever since SoCal members, Terry and Betty and Jolene decided to join in on the Day on the Delta this year, I’ve been thinking of what we can do for a 2nd day on the Delta. Terry and Betty have already cruised the north Delta to Sacramento a few years ago, but not the Delta we are most familiar. Plus this is Jolene’s first time. My goal is to try and show our friends from SoCal a little bit of what the Delta is all about, the combination of the rivers and sloughs, the odd but cool restaurants, and the true landscape of our Delta. I’ve been thinking of different routes that we can do, and this is what I decided.

As a group, we have not launched from Wimpy’s Marina in Walnut Grove. There are a couple reasons why I chose this place. First, because of the route we plan on doing for the 2nd day. The flood gate at Walnut Grove, CA is closed due to high river levels, so that changes things and eliminates a couple of ideas. Wimpy’s parking is not very big like Hogback and or B&W or Tower Park. I assume the number of participants for the 2nd Day will not be as much as the day before possibly; that can change though. The launch is short but plenty of dock space to tie our old/new boats. Parking space is limited but I did call the marina and there are extra parking places if needed.

The day’s long cruise from Wimpy’s will start by heading west along the S Mokelumne River for a very short jaunt and continue down the N Mokelumne River to our left. We will cruise from Wimpy’s for around 10 miles on the North Mokelumne, starting our cruise around Tyler Island to our right. Once we run into the S Mokelumne from N Mokelumne, we will make an immediate right onto one of our favorite sloughs, Georgiana Slough heading north. One of the most scenic sloughs, she’s around 12 miles to Walnut Grove.

Lunch Option #1

Completing only 22 miles or so, we will end the first half of our cruise in Walnut Grove at their very nice modern public dock. We have options at Walnut Grove for lunch. We could eat in Walnut Grove, or we can add to our day’s adventure by walking about ½ mile to the historic town of Locke, Ca and have lunch at the renowned Al’s Place, formerly known as “Al the Wop’s”. I’ll leave that up to the SoCal members. There are plenty of nice places to eat in Walnut Grove too, but I thought a lunch in old Delta town of Locke, would be of interest. It’s a very odd and very interesting Delta town.

Option #2

After leaving Georgiana Slough at Walnut Grove, we can continue our cruise south on the Sacramento River passing under the famous Rio Vista bridge to their Public dock, not so modern, which is about 14 miles from Walnut Grove. We can tie our boats at their dock and either have a lunch picnic for some who would like, looking over the water, or one can choose to go to the popular Lucy’s Café (Italian) for lunch just a short block up the main street from the dock. This will be close to the midpoint of our cruise, traveling close to 36 miles already.

Mercedes and I will take another road trip to Rio Vista and see what the Public dock looks like for us to tie our boats. Then we can decide for sure if Rio Vista is a good lunch destination for us.

The second half of the cruise will start by heading south on the Sacramento to 3 Mile Slough. 3 Miles Slough is just that, 3 miles until we hit the big San Joaquin River from the Sacramento River. 7 miles east on the big river, San Joaquin, we are back on the South Mokelumne, same river we started. Three miles to B&W, then heading due east from there is 5.5 miles to Terminous, CA (Tower Park Marina) and another 10 miles north on the another beautiful and scenic S Mokelumne till we are back at Wimpy’s. Whew.

From my favorite Delta and fishing map, I’ve measured as best as I can on the miles. Total is 68 miles give or take. Be interesting to see the difference in miles with a GPS and my popular Delta map. Including lunch, this will pretty much be a 6-8 hour day of fun on the water with our new/old boats. If you include maybe a bite afterwards at Wimpy’s, well then we may have the benefit to still be around on the Delta during twilight and watching the sun go down while we are having a bite to eat outside at Wimpy’s.

So that’s my second reason why I wanted to start at Wimpy’s is because we would end at Wimpy’s. They have a wonderful and popular delta vibe restaurant that we can end our incredible day.

What do you think?

Eduardo and Mercedes