Golden State Glassics

Go Back   Golden State Glassics > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 10-04-2017, 06:10 AM
Skipper

Thumbs down Boating drivers license?

Saw an interview with a guy on tv and he was saying in the future they were hoping to have operators of boats licensed, really, or was I dreaming? I believe it, regulate us to death California...
Old 10-04-2017, 10:39 AM
Mate

Look up california boater safety card online and you will see the schedule for what age groups need to pass a safe boater course. The law was passed already and it costs around $30 for each person to get a card.

TBL
Old 10-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Skipper

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglazy View Post
Look up california boater safety card online and you will see the schedule for what age groups need to pass a safe boater course. The law was passed already and it costs around $30 for each person to get a card.

TBL
,,,, sounded lke they were taking about in the future, maybe more regulations

Searched and ;

About the card
The California Boater Card will show that its holder has successfully taken and passed a NASBLA/state-approved boater safety education examination. The new requirement will begin on Jan. 1, 2018 for all persons 20 years of age and younger who operate any motorized vessel on state waterways, including powered sailboats and paddlecraft. On that date, these boaters will be required to carry a boater card issued by DBW.

Each year after January 2018, a new age group will be added to those who are required to possess a valid card. By 2025, all persons who operate on California waters will be required to have one. Once issued, the card remains valid for a boat operator’s lifetime. California Harbors and Navigation Code Section 678.11(b) contains the following phase-in schedule based on operator age:

•January 1, 2018 – Persons 20 years of age or younger
•January 1, 2019 – Persons 25 years of age or younger
•January 1, 2020 – Persons 35 years of age or younger
•January 1, 2021 – Persons 40 years of age or younger
•January 1, 2022 – Persons 45 years of age or younger
•January 1, 2023 – Persons 50 years of age or younger
•January 1, 2024 – Persons 60 years of age or younger
•January 1, 2025 – All persons regardless of age
The card will be issued by the California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW). DBW plans to begin issuing the California Boater Cards prior to Jan. 1, 2018, implementation date. The Boater Card Technical Advisory Group anticipates that the cost of the card will be no more than $10. The lost card replacement fee will be no more than $5.
+California age restrictions for operating a motorized vessel: According to California Harbors and Navigation Code Section 658.5, NO person under 16 years of age may operate a boat with a motor of more than 15 horsepower, except for a sailboat that does not exceed 30 feet in length or a dinghy used directly between a moored boat and the shore (or between two moored boats). The law allows children 12-15 years of age to operate boats with a motor of more than 15 horsepower or sailboats over 30 feet if supervised on board by an adult at least 18 years of age. Violating these provisions constitutes an infraction.

Last edited by g3bill; 10-06-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Mate

Yep that is what I read. It's just one more hoop to jump through to get out on the water. I was teaching my kids how to operate the boat but I guess they will have to pass the test first and then I can teach them.

I think it is silly to have to get a card to paddle a kayak!

I am also wondering if they will make all teens take a boating course along with their drivers ED so it will be a 2 for 1 deal?
Old 10-08-2017, 09:37 AM
Skipper

When it was first proposed, seniors were to be "grandfathered" in and would not have to get one. As you can see, regulatory zeal has eliminated that loophole so even though I have been boating for well over half a century, I too will have to have a license by 2025.

-JRF (Jerry)
Old 10-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Skipper

Personally I'm in favor of a" Boaters License" as there are too many folks out on the water who haven't got a clue. Yesterday my son was out tuning and a couple of kids not over 12 were operating a jet ski within 25' of the boat at well over 50mph. All summer long we have witnessed rental pontoon boats being operated in an unsafe manner with no regard for no wake zones, 5mph zones, hazard warnings or max number of person aboard. I don't know how all to the issues can be eliminated by one more license but I'm willing to try. My biggest concern is rental equipment, at present almost anyone with a credit card can rent a jet ski, ski boat, pontoon boat or what ever. Are these folks going to be tested at the Marina, hope not as I believe the marina owners will provide the answers to preserve their business? I'm with Jerry I've been doing this for well over 60 years and believe that I am a responsible boater, but if a test and a license will help eliminate or minimize the irresponsible operation of boats on our waterways then I'm for it.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:00 AM
Skipper

I think its just another California Tax and insurance company medaling. To think a " Boaters License" will make boaters safer, Ha! I almost get killed every day I get in my car.

I agree those over 50 should be exempt.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Skipper

I share your pessimism Bill, one can only hope for some improvement.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Skipper

Not to burst your bubble Jack, but a boating license is not required if you rent a boat.

And before you get up in arms about it (like I did), they analzyed all the boating accidents within the state for some period of time and determined that rentals made up the smallest number of accidents. The article also went on to say that when people rent a boat, they are given an education about boater safety. That I don't agree with. I have rented a boat a few times and never got more info than the basic safety requirements of life jackets, turn on the bilge pump, etc.

I do think there should be a safety video that is required to be watched by the person renting the boat. I think even a 10 minute video would go a long way to giving someone knowledge.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Skipper

My bubble was burst long ago David.
I've read the articles like you that says that 80% of accidents are caused by boat owners leaving only 20% to be caused by renters. My problem is that I'm not sure we can believe the numbers. Is this number based solely on raw numbers of accidents or has the number of total boating hours of each group been accounted for. You know the old saying "Figures don't lie but liars figure" and when getting information from the state I believe it.
My son was told by the concessionaire at Shaver Lake that at some point during the 8yr implementation process the marinas were going to be responsible for testing and reporting directly to the state. This makes me believe that the system is inherently flawed, kind of like government employee unions. Boating Safety is everyone's responsibility so I'm in favor of doing anything which protects life and property I just don't see this as presented as the answer.