Golden State Glassics

Go Back   Golden State Glassics > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 12-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Skipper

Default 2018 New Year's Day Lunch Run to SYC

Some members have been asking, so I contacted Dan Walters to ask. Just want to let you know that the GSG annual New Yearís Day Lunch Run to the Sacramento Yacht Club will take place again for 2018. Dan Walters has hosted this luncheon for GSG almost every year. Unfortunately, this will be his last; Dan Walters will end his membership at the club in 2018. Sad news for us GSG folks, but again very grateful that Dan has hosted us for many years. Dan has been a wonderful host since; my very first New Yearís run was in 2006.

Being the last year, letís make this 2018 GSG New Yearís Lunch Run worth mentioning. Typically in the past, we have launched at either Discovery Park (5 miles to SYC) or the Elkhorn boat launch (15 miles to SYC).

We have two options, maybe a third but I'll mention that later. We could launch from Elkhorn, 30 miles round trip or from Discovery, 10 miles from Discovery. We launched out of Elkhorn in October, itís actually nice though most are familiar with Discovery and a safer launch. Itís too close in my opinion though. Unless we cruise heading south past SYC to the delta town of Freeport on our initial run, 13.5 miles from Discovery, stopping at SYC on our return (mile 22), total of 27 miles round trip back to the launch. I like the latter, smoother waters and less slow downs.

Dan would also appreciate a head count beforehand a number of attendees, either by old boat or car. If you plan to attend let me know or just let me know what you think. Letís make this last New Yearís Lunch Run to SYC a memorable one and to show our appreciation to Dan Walters for all the years that he has hosted GSG.

I will post on GSG on Facebook as well.

Eduardo & Mercedes
Old 12-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Skipper

Default We will be there

... and with an old boat.

JRF (Jerry)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:21 AM
Skipper

Default Right on Jerry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF View Post
... and with an old boat.

JRF (Jerry)
...glad you and Lucia can make it.

Eduardo and Mercedes
Old 12-28-2017, 11:27 PM
Skipper

Dana and I have locked in the date. We will be going - looks like no boat though. The Merc Control box on the boat is shot - I replaced the worn parts with other worn parts last Summer - it worked for two outings and jammed up again. I need to replace it with the earlier control box - Maybe in the Spring. If anyone has a spare couple of seats, we would enjoy riding along. If not - we will drive to the SYC.

Bruce
Old 12-29-2017, 06:43 AM
Skipper

Default two more

We will have relatives visiting and they want to go along. So count is four now.

JRF (Jerry)
Old 12-29-2017, 11:51 AM
Skipper

Default Looks like a nice turnout...

...for the last New Year's Day run to Sacramento Yacht Club luncheon. So we are just 3 days away from the New Yearís Day run and our very last year for the SYC luncheon hosted by Dan Walters. Iíve communicated with Dan and he would like us to be there around 11 am. We plan to launch out of Discovery Park Boat Launch. For those who plan on going, letís all meet at the boat launch at 10 am or before and ready to motor out just before 10:30 am. SYC is only 5 miles south but with no wake at Old Sacramento, should give us enough time to be there around 11 am. Our time at the yacht club is usually 2 to 2 Ĺ hours. That includes the lunch of course and just hanging out with Dan and the group at the dock. After we leave SYC, we plan to cruise south on The Sacramento for 12.5 miles to the town of Clarksburg. Other than, Sherwood marina (next to SYC), the town of Freeport, and Cliffs Marina, the cruise is wide open. This section of the river is usually pretty nice and calm. Once we get to Clarksburg, we will turn around and head back towards Sacramento. Just want to make it a longer cruise, especially for members from out of town. If time permits, we could even stop and tie up our boats at Old Sacramento and check out the historic town for a bit. Weather looks promising and calm, so water conditions should be really nice.

I want to thank all who have replied. As I mentioned earlier Dan is requesting a number of people who plan to attend the luncheon. As of today I have reported 21 people and 8 boats to Dan. The address to the Discovery Park is 1600 Garden Highway, Sacramento, 95833. Or you can Google Discovery Park Boat Launch, corner of Jibboon Street and Natomas Park Drive. Entrance fee is $10-12 with boat, $5-6 for car.

Attendies so far is:

Adam Tremoureux and family (4)
Jerry Foster and family (4)
Eduardo & Mercedes (2)
Bruce and Dana (2)
Kent & Lydia (2)
David & Nicole (2)
Glenn and Lan (2)
Brad Slish (1)
Jim Barker and Gemmel (2)

If you are not on the list and would like to attend, reply here. Iíll let Dan Walters know.

We look forward to seeing you.

Eduardo and Mercedes
Old 12-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Dana and I have locked in the date. We will be going - looks like no boat though. The Merc Control box on the boat is shot - I replaced the worn parts with other worn parts last Summer - it worked for two outings and jammed up again. I need to replace it with the earlier control box - Maybe in the Spring. If anyone has a spare couple of seats, we would enjoy riding along. If not - we will drive to the SYC.

Bruce
Bruce, no worries, we will find room for you and Dana. I talked to Jim this morning. If all goes well today with his old cruiser, Jim Barker is planning to bring the Farallon. If not, you and Dana can ride with me.

Eduardo
Old 12-29-2017, 01:47 PM
Skipper

Thanks! Dana told me last night that she would love to get a ride in your Bell Boy 265 - she has been admiring it since first seeing it at Hirz Bay in 2015

We would be happy to ride along with anyone though.

I hope Jim can make it - it would be nice to see him.

We have a room at the Holiday Inn on J st. so we are close to Discovery park
Old 12-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Skipper

We have two seats also! So, Bruce, know that there are two more available if need be.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:34 PM
Skipper

Wow David - thank you! I guess that means that your new prime mover is on the transom now? Cool!

Bruce