Golden State Glassics

Go Back   Golden State Glassics > Main Category > Glassic Garage > Trailers - Formally Blah Blah Blah

Old 09-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmariner View Post
I realize that we vintage focused people like to run what came with our 50's and 60's boats (8" to 12") but in the interest of SAFETY and reliability, I have converted any trailer wheels and tires that I use on the highway to at least a 13" to 15" diameter. The bearings have to turn a lot fewer rpm's, and the tires run at a much slower speed. And, knock on wood, have not had any failures in the years I have been towing.
I agree! The "Tee Nee" style trailers may be cool, but those little tires are spinning their guts out! I replaced those little things on the Glass Magic trailer with 14" aluminum wheels and new tires. Brand new at Pep Boys for around $250 (both wheels, tires, lug nuts, mounting, balancing)! If I need to pass someone, I can do it with confidence. Two years towing and they still look brand new. For you salties, I believe that the salt water is a bit eaiser on the aluminum than the steel wheels. Also, ALWAYS cover your tires when parked outside for any extended length of time. The sun's UV rays are natures solvent on rubber. I've seen many boat and RV tires damaged and unuseable with almost all their tread left from being exposed to the elements.
Phil
Old 07-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Skipper

Send a message via Yahoo to Fincrazy

I was doin so reading and I know this is an older post. But had to put in my 2 cents!! An option for you "vintage" tire lovers is golf cart tires. Stock is 8.5 and they go up to 14" there are a few that are highway legal since that's what I do for a living I have checked all the different brands Kenda is the best so far but goodyear makes an "eagle" tire as well. And even in the golf cart world the Carisles suck big time do not waste your money just because its made in the US. The GC wheels are steel and have many options for hubcaps including the small chrome domes. If you do not know what the DOT codes mean these make it real simple the GC tire will say " not for highway use " right on the tire. I picked up a set of nice custom 10" aluminum wheels with 205-50-10 tires for my Magnoila it towed fantastic when I moved it from my old home to the new one. I just picked up some 12" tires for my Jetabout but have not mounted em yet.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Skipper

Default Upgrade 8" to 13" rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmariner View Post
I realize that we vintage focused people like to run what came with our 50's and 60's boats (8" to 12") but in the interest of SAFETY and reliability, I have converted any trailer wheels and tires that I use on the highway to at least a 13" to 15" diameter. The bearings have to turn a lot fewer rpm's, and the tires run at a much slower speed. And, knock on wood, have not had any failures in the years I have been towing.
This is an old post but the subject is still relevant today. It seems to me there is a proliferation of questionable quality small diameter tires. The smaller the wheel the more stress on the tire and higher temps which can mean early failures if the tire is not up to snuff.

Several years ago I converted the 8" wheels on my small boat trailer to 13". My axle is set up for a 4 bolt pattern so converting to 13" tires required a special wheel. I found a suitable wheel at etrailer.com. FYI I just checked and they still carry these wheels. I fitted them with inexpensive 13" bias ply tires which have held up very well probably because their load rating far exceeds the actual load and they run much cooler than the old 8" tires.

-JRF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer wheel upgrade 13 inch.jpg (24.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Skipper

Just replaced the tires on my Avalon trailer and the Mgr. of the Americas tire recommended bias ply tires as they will not separate like radials and tear up everything in their path, ie fenders and or body panels.
Just an opinion, kinda like belly buttons.